First United Methodist Church, Barron, WI
Thursday, December 08, 2022
Welcome to our website

Our History

On December 3, 1876, a dozen people gathered to share a dream of a new congregation in Barron.  They held the first Methodist church service in this area.  At that time, Barron was a struggling frontier town.  That service was held in the courthouse.  Rev. K. A. Fulmer of Prairie Farm brought the message using the text "If the Lord be God, Follow Him."  Land was purchased in 1885 on what is now the corner of Division and 5th St.  The church was dedicated August 29, 1886,.  The building was enlarged several times and the congregation was very active in the community and beyond.
By 1945, the need for a new church building was becoming apparent.  On March 17, 1957, a new building at the corner of Memorial Drive and Woodland Ave was consecrated.  In 1959, a new parsonage was built.  The bell tower was dedicated on March 31, 1963 using the bell from the old church.
We welcomed the Poskin congregation in 1964, Hope congregation in 1967, and Hillsdale congregation in 1968.  And on November 14, 1993, we dedicated the new addition to our current building.  We have made great progress.
We recently celebrated 50 years in our current facility and over 130 years in ministry in this rural Wisconsin community, our ministry has changed and grown with the needs and the times in which we live.  Through these many years, we continue to follow the message of that first sermon back in 1876, "If the Lord be God, Follow Him".  As United Methodists, we follow the call of Christ to anchor ourselves in the beliefs and foundations of our church and to reach out to the community and the world beyond with the love of Jesus Christ.